The Omaha Career Networking (OCN) group dedicated to helping the unemployed and underemployed in the Omaha metro area will be launching a 12-week program Titled “Career Transition Workshop starting Tuesday March 7, 2017. The sessions will be held at Christ Community Church 404-S. 108 Avenue, Omaha (Old Mill business park), starting at 7:00 p.m. and lasting until 9 p.m.
The current optimistic business outlook with a forecast of increased hiring has resulted in more people coming back into the job market. This has been evidenced by the rising unemployment rate with each tenth of a percent increase meaning more than 750,000 people have come back into the job market nationwide. Competition for positions will increase and job seeker will need to sharpen the job hunt skills to stand out. The Career Transition Workshop through 12 sessions, offers great information that can be put to use in finding a rewarding job.
According to Jeff Quandt, OCN Lead facilitator and Digital Marketer, “We are offering a very comprehensive and structured program for all job seekers with the Career Transition Workshop to the Greater Omaha area. Today, the way people need to go about finding the work they love to do for companies they want to work for and want candidates that are solution providers, has changed dramatically. Simply answering a want ad or filling out an online application has a 5% success rate of landing a job. Understanding the strategy and tactics of utilizing personal networks will provide an 80% chance of landing work that you have a passion to do. We state in our group that you should not spend 80% of your time using the ‘spray and pray’ tactic of online applications, when the faster route to work that you love is through networking.”
The Career Transition Workshop will bring in a variety of local presenters, all experts in their field, to present on key points of a job search.
Topics covered in the 12-week series include:
- Accepting The Ax: Gain insight into what happens after the severance. Develop coping skills for moving on.
- Career Choices and Consequences: Learn basic decision models designed to simplify the complex choice of “now what?”
- Two-Minute/Two-Page Resumes: Discover the key to not only opening the door, but getting the interview. Learn how to market and sell yourself.
- Communication Connection: Learn how to communicate more effectively. Improve your written skills to get in the door and stay in the game.
- Inter-Galactic Invitational Resume Skeet Shoot: Get feedback from an objective review of your resume combined with professional advice to make improvements.
- Search Management: Learn the four fundamental ways to find work. Discover how to manage and organize your time to minimize risks and maximize rewards.
- Networking Strategies: Network-building relationships can yield the highest return on your investment of time! Learn how to market yourself and tap the hidden job market.
- Interviewing Tactics: Understand the six steps of the interview process. Learn the tools and techniques to apply and improve your chances of positioning yourself as the ideal candidate.
- Classy Answers to Classical Questions: Learn how to anticipate what the interviewer is going to ask and why. Discover how to answer difficult questions to more effectively sell yourself as the solution.
- Interviewing Rehearsal: Review the good, the bad and the ugly from observing a staged interview. Practice your interview skills in small group sessions to transfer the knowledge into know-how.
- Win-Win Negotiations: Discover the art and science of salary negotiations. Realize the full potential of the “benefits” side of the equation.
- Wrap-It-Up!: Your attitude affects your actions, your beliefs affect your behavior, your outlook affects your outcome. Get empowered by enthusiasm.
Career Transition Workshop workbooks are available for a suggested $25 donation, which will contain PowerPoint slides of all 12 weeks. There is no obligation to purchase the notebook and there is no charge to attend the workshop.
Meetings will be held at Christ Community Church 404 South 108th Avenue. Childcare is available in the main church. Attendees do not need to register in advance nor be a member of Christ Community Church. The program is open to all people of all faiths.
Quandt also stated that church has supported the OCN for the past seven years and is equally supportive of this next step to advance and meet the needs of many people in the Omaha area.
About the Career Transition Workshop
The Career Transition Workshop was developed by John McDorman of Dallas, Texas. In 1990, John was fired and found himself without a job. He took advantage of the outplacement services offered and noticed something was missing…God. Every day, people face the reality of job loss and its associated fears. Faith is the best antidote for fear. God shouldn’t be missing nor should His word which is filled with practical wisdom. Before John knew it, God had put on his heart the need to develop a biblically based faith focused career transition process. That was the beginning of Transition Consulting in 1990. In October of 1991, the first multi-week series called the Career Transition Workshop was launched. More information on the Career Transition Workshop can be found on their website www.CareerTransitionWorkshop.org.
About Omaha Career Networking
Omaha Career Networking was founded in 2009, by Mike Familetti as a way to help the unemployed and underemployed find meaningful work using new tactics and strategies. Jeff Quandt, a Digital Marketing Strategist by profession, joined the group in 2010 and is the lead facilitator, LinkedIn Counselor, and occasional presenter on various topics regarding conducting a successful job search.
Group meetings are held every Tuesday evening at Christ Community Church, 404 South 108 Avenue in the Old Mill area. More information about the group, services and upcoming meetings can be found at www.OmahaCareerNetworking.org.